Friday, February 10, 2012

Endless Knotted Strand Tutorial

I had a student contact me on my Facebook page the other day with a question on how finish off a knotted necklace without a clasp.

I thought I would respond via the blog so I could share this technique with all of you as well. If you are looking for a tutorial on how to knot pearls, you can read my latest article in BeadStyle magazine. (You can purchase one, here.) You can also check out my guide to necklace lengths so you can choose the right length for you. 

 Choose your thread. I use nylon or silk beading thread. You can use any type of thread you like but I prefer silk or nylon. The main thing is to check the size of the thread in relation to the size of the bead hole. The thread should fill the hole, but still allow the bead to slide smoothly and freely down the thread without much effort.

Cut your thread and string it through your needle so that it is doubled over. Fold a piece of tape to hold the ends together. Leave about a 3" tail.

String on a bead with a large hole at the end. It will need to accommodate four strands of thread for the final closing knots.

String on a pearl. Do not tie a knot between the large holed bead and the first pearl. Tie a knot after the first pearl and continue knotting until all beads are knotted on the strand. (This is a short strand for demonstration purposes. Your necklace will need be be at least 22" long to slip over the head.)

 Do not tie a knot after the last bead.

String the needle through the large holed bead.

Pull the threads so the necklace tightens up. Cut the needle end of the thread leaving about a 3" tail.

Tie a single overhand knot (thread ends right over left) and tighten.

Turn the entire piece over and tie a complete square knot (right over left and left over right.)

Repeat on the other side.

Seal the knots with clear nail polish and let dry overnight. Cut extra threads away with a pair of sharp scissors.

Your necklace is complete!

Hope that quick tutorial helps! If you have any questions about this tutorial or any other beading or metalworking technique, leave me a message on my Facebook page or shoot me an email. I may just answer it here on the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.